August 17, 2007

Cultural Obituary 2


It is with a heavy heart that this announcement has been made. The Ford Taurus (like the one pictured above), known in some circles as the Hockey1, had been retired. The 1993 Ford Taurus has been a transport for this reporter since elementary school. In a decade of service, it has seen good and bad times.

One of the earliest stories in which the car had played a pivotal role was the infamous "Cheesesteak Incident" at the Arroyo Grille. Despite deft manoeuvring of the driver, the car could not stop the dreaded fist waving. The car made numerous trips to Fish On Main to pick up a check or 50. One of the most epic trips it took was into Canadian Territory, where it weaved through traffic much like a dreamlike manner. It had been seen in the State College area. It has taken a number of patrols through our town especially through what is now The Glen at Shawmont Station. The Hockey 1 helped this young reporter during his early days at The Review.

But it has seen some tough times. It has been broken into a few times, twice when its owner lived in the western area of the city and once during a brief sojourn in Atlantic City. It's driver's side mirror which had been missing in action for a number of years was finally replaced recently. But like old things that age, a smell had started to pervade it interior. True to its name, the Hockey1 would shuttle its owner to Hockey games around the area and the equipment stayed in the trunk all year round.
We will miss you buddy...from the weird orange doohickey to the can of coconut milk kept in the back for a conversation piece.
On a side note, the 1990s model Taurus was and probably still is one of the most dependable cars ever made by Ford. It was a beast in winter, good in summer. Like Timex, it took a likin and kept on tickin.
The King is dead. Long Live the King.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was nice of the car crusher here to allow me one final blogging comment before I'm turned into a 6 cubic inch hunk of metal. Before I spew my final exhaust of carbon monoxide, I want take the time to say just how honored I was to have served my owners and their friends, especially the reporter, during my lengthy tenure. I want to thank you for this unworthy recognition as I will return now to my place in line behind a '75 Caprice. Thank you to all of my loyal fans! HOCKY1 LIVES!!