December 10, 2008

More sad news


Manayunk-born character actor Robert Prosky passed away this week. While for the past 50 years, Prosky lived in Washington DC, he never really forgot his roots. Earlier this year, Prosky appeared at the Walnut St. Theater in a production of Arthur Miller's The Price. Prosky believed it was one of Price's most unrated works. He performed with his town sons John and Andy.
Prosky when in town would hold a Q&A night for fans. One year, he gave it at Old Academy Players. He was surprised to learn that they had kept all programs from shows he performed in.
"There were shows I don't even remember doing," Prosky said in February.
Throughout his long career, Prosky fielded many questions but I believe I got him with one he couldn't answer. He seemed pretty appreciative of the challenge.
I took up an invitation by Prosky to visit him backstage after a performance of The Price. As I waited in line to go to the green room, I told a lady there I had been invited by Mr. Prosky. She was polite if not a little bemused. It was Mrs. Prosky.
I personally delivered the story I wrote from our phone interview. Prosky was gracious and quiet almost contemplative. Boy, could he act.
Our prayers and thoughts go out to the Prosky family.

No comments: