July 20, 2007

A hundred billion castaways looking for a home...


So it was a great time at Citizens Bank Park, (my sisters brawling notwithstanding). The Police had not one but two opening acts before they performed. It was really a shame to miss the first band called Fictionplane. Their merchandize was sold all over. Then I remembered that Fictionplane is the name of Joe Sumner's band. Sumner is the son of Sting. What I heard in the distance was ok, but I wasn't real attentive. But I'll try and find out more about them soon.


Finally, after getting into my seat, the second opening act was excellent. Perhaps, you may have heard of them, they are called The Fratellis. Man, so many good bands coming out from Scotland, who knew Glasgow was so musically inclined. The band pretty much played their whole album, "Costello Music". And I recently heard that are playing in Camden for a music festival, brilliant. They even played up to the (at that time, sparse) crowd. Someone in the crowd brought the Fratellis some beer that they had been asking for. I'll definately check those lads out again.



So finally, the Police came out at around 8:45, not bad really. It was the first time they played in Philly since the early 80s, I believe I was too young to even understand the concept of concert, or even music. But anyway, things kicked off with Message in a Bottle, and keeped the pace from there playing the many popular favorites such as "Don't Stand So Close To Me", "Everything She Does Is Magic", "The Bed's Too Big Without You", Invisible Sun, "Roxanne" of course and so much more.


The only drawback to my seat was that it was obstructed by a stage lighting pole. So I saw Sting and Stewart Copeland perfectly, couldn't see Andy Summers unless he moved around. But the band's music and the light show, Copeland playing all sorts of percussion instruments was fantastic. In the end, while they couldn't jam all night, they did enough to make many fans happily chant "EEEEEOOOOOO" all the way back to their cars.

No comments: